The Ruins of the East end of the 12th Century Bolton Priory.
Bolton Abbey was founded by Augustinian monks in 1154 on the banks of the River Wharfe. Led by a Prior the building was technically a Priory rather than an Abbey and is known today as Bolton Priory.
In the early 14th Century, the site was attacked by Scottish Raiders and building work was abandoned. serious damage occurred and the East end was left in ruins. Building work was still ongoing when the dissolution of the monasteries resulted in all assets being stripped in January 1540.
Location: Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire
Photographer: Colin Shepherd