The Forth Bridge is one of the true icons of Scotland and recognised worldwide as a major feat of engineering.
Completed in December 1889 and officially opened on 4th March 1890, the Forth Bridge was the first major construction in Britain to be made of Steel.
Spanning the Firth of Forth between South Queensferry in Lothian and North Queensferry in Fife, the bridge has a span of 8094 ft (2467 m) and was the world's longest single-span cantilever bridge until 1919 when the Quebec Bridge in Canada opened.
On 5th July 2015, UNESCO inscribed the Forth Bridge as a World Heritage site recognising it as "an extraordinary and impressive milestone in bridge design and construction during the period when railways came to dominate long-distance land travel."
Location: North Queensferry, Fife, Scotland
Photographer: Colin Shepherd